When the war was declared in 1939 , the Government set up a Directorate of Camouflage as part of the Ministry of Home Security. Its main base was in Royal Leamington Spa. They moved to their new base in early 1940 and set up home in the Regent Hotel.
The Directorate brought 250 artists, designers and technicians to the town who worked in secret on aspects of military and civilian camouflage. They took over The Roller rink which stood on the site of the present Loft Theatre and also the Art Gallery and Museum building in Avenue Road which is converted to apartments now. They also had a presence at the Gables in Kenilworth Road.
Thanks to Barry Franklin of Leamington History Group for the above information.
2016 is not the first time the History of Camouflage has been celebrated in Leamington. Fergus Durrant of Sez-U Community Theatre and the Leamington Studio Artists documented these achievements during 2008 with a Heritage Lottery Funded project.